Search

Friday, June 10, 2011

Trying on the headsets that can read your mind

"Burn, burn!" I think, as I glare at the laptop in front of me. "Hurry up and burn!" No, I've not had a tech-support meltdown – I'm trying out MindWave, the latest device from brain-computer interface (BCI) firm NeuroSky, based in San Jose, California. On screen is a virtual barrel of gunpowder that I'm attempting to ignite by concentrating my attention, but I'm finding it hard to link my thoughts to fanning the animated flames.

"I sing a song in my head," suggests Tansy Brook, head of communications at NeuroSky – thinking of the lyrics helps her concentrate. She explains that it can take some time to train your thoughts to the system, but I really have no idea what I should be thinking about.

The device reading my thoughts is a lightweight headset with a band that reaches halfway across my forehead, at the end of which is a single electroencephalogram (EEG) sensor that Brook says is nearly as accurate as medical-grade devices, but at a fraction of the cost. It detects the strength of my beta and alpha brainwaves, which correspond to my attention and relaxation levels, and transmits them wirelessly to the laptop.

Interesting? Read more...

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20375-trying-on-the-headsets-that-can-read-your-mind.html

--------------------------------------------------------------

Retired shuttles find new homes
http://www.iol.co.za/scitech/science/space/retired-shuttles-find-new-homes-1.1055981

Dark matter could make planets habitable
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20320-dark-matter-could-make-planets-habitable.html

---------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment